The week in brief
By control on July 19, 2013
Posted in Air Cargo World News
- Emirates (pictured above) will begin a daily A380 service to Barcelona Feb. 1, 2014. The service will be the first permanent A380 service to operate into Barcelona El Prat Airport.
- Kerry Logistics, a global logistics service provider, acquired a majority stake in Braservice, a leading Brazil-based logistics and customs brokerage company, with a domestic network of 17 offices throughout the country, including in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia. Braservice has a special focus on fast-moving consumer goods, automotive, fashion and lifestyle.
- Customers moving outsize and heavyweight air cargo with Volga-Dnepr Airlines can now track their cargo using text messages. The airline is using the message service to customers' mobile phones to provide updates on the progress of charter flights.
- Singapore Changi Airport unveiled its latest themed garden (pictured left), which has a display of vibrant colors and interactive technology. Changi has pioneered the concept of airport gardens since opening in 1981. This themed garden is the fifth one at Changi.
- DHL Express Chile inaugurated a new headquarters and distribution center, the company's most modern in Latin America. The complex in the Enea Industrial Park was designed to allow DHL Express to handle growing volume demands in Chile. It features infrastructure improvements such as automated sorting capacity to allow for greater productivity. The building also incorporates DHL's GoGreen strategy, providing green spaces inside and outside, as well as using natural light where possible inside the facility.
- American Airlines Cargo unveiled its new website, aacargo.com. The website was designed using feedback from customers and enables future technological improvements that will benefit cargo customers. The new website offers more organized online tracking, a new personalized workspace and a new user management console.
- Agility, a global logistics provider, has appointed Thomas Blank (pictured right) as managing director of area Central Europe. He replaces Thomas Peikert, who left the company after 23 years. Blank is now responsible for identifying development opportunities in Germany, Benelux and Poland. In recent years, he has held various senior management positions for logistics companies such Panalpina and UTi. Blank most recently worked at Geodis Wilson as VP & managing director Asia Pacific. After eight years in Asia, Blank is now returning to Germany.
- CEVA Logistics, a supply chain management companies, will expand to a new location in Richmond, Virg., in late summer. The new facility is a multiuse site that will manage the logistics of several global brands.
- Air charter broker Air Partner signed a contract with British Airways to fuel the airline's new Airbus A380 superjumbo and Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Air Partner will fill up the A380 for the duration of the aircraft's time at Manston Airport in Kent, England. After that, Air Partner will work with British Airways to fuel the B787.