The week in brief
By Staff Reports on May 29, 2014
- Over 82 tonnes of medical supplies and equipment needed to help victims still dealing with the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan have reached the Philippines after Virgin Atlantic Airways offered its support to UNICEF and Save the Children. With four of its aircraft heading to the Philippines for routine maintenance work, Virgin Atlantic approached the charities to offer the cargo capacity on the flights free of charge. Shipments included hospital equipment, water purification tablets and life-saving drugs to treat malaria, bacterial infections and diarrhea.
- Swiss International Air Lines will increase frequencies on its daily Miami-Zurich route to 14 flights per week during the winter 2014-15 season. The added frequencies will be in effect Oct. 27 to March 27.
- AirBridgeCargo Airlines is celebrating 10 years in business. ABC operates scheduled cargo flights to 11 countries.
- Envirotainer has accredited four stations in the Cargolux network – Luxembourg, Italy Malpensa, Zurich and Taipei – as Qualified Envirotainer Provider.
- Emirates operated a one-off A380 service to mark its 10-year anniversary flying to Austria. This milestone signals the first ever commercially scheduled A380 service to Vienna International Airport.
- South Korea’s Asiana Airlines took delivery of its first Airbus A380, becoming the eleventh operator of the type in the world. Asiana has ordered six A380s.
- Boeing announced an agreement to acquire ETS Aviation, a provider of fuel-efficiency management and analytics software. ETS Aviation provides more than 120 airlines and corporate flight departments the tools to monitor fuel consumption, identify fuel savings opportunities, and track and report carbon emissions.
- Two mobile meteorological support vehicles have arrived in Yekaterinburg, Russia, from Delhi onboard a Volga-Dnepr Airlines An-124-100 aircraft after going for a test drive. The mobile stations each weighed 12 tonnes and were accompanied by a 4-tonne trailer.
- Emirates will launch a daily A380 service to Mumbai International Airport on July 21.