The week in brief
Like This Post
- Ruslan International moved 75 tonnes of urgent oil and gas industry coil-tubing equipment from London Stansted to Adelaide, Australia, to support a drilling program in the Coober Pedy Basin of South Australia.
- Air Seychelles, the national airline of the Republic of Seychelles, will launch direct flights to Antananarivo, Madagascar, on Dec. 3. The A320 aircraft will offer over seven tonnes of weekly belly-hold freight capacity to and from Madagascar, which has a strong inbound and outbound cargo market. The airline expects to carry a mixture of perishables, mechanical spare parts and pharmaceuticals.
- TNT was awarded a two-year contract to provide international delivery services to Dutch fashion company Mexx. The contract sees TNT transporting design samples between Mexx’s suppliers in Asia and the Middle East and its Amsterdam headquarters.
- In the next step to co-locate operations across the combined network, American Airlines Cargo joined US Airways Cargo’s operations at Newark Liberty International Airport and at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. American Airlines also began offering cargo service to and from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, and Richmond, Va.
- DHL delivered 41 electric racing cars and related equipment to Beijing for the FIA Formula E Championship. The delivery used a combination of rail and air.
- Baltia Air Lines signed a ground handling agreement with Swissport USA, Inc. to handle its aircraft at JFK International Airport. Baltia Air Lines is a new U.S. airline. It will operate Boeing 747 aircraft from the U.S. to Europe.
- Miami International Airport announced new air service. American Airlines will launch daily nonstop service to Cap-Haitien, Haiti, on Oct. 2 and nonstop service to Campinas, Brazil, on Dec. 2. Beginning Oct. 27, Swiss International Air Lines will increase frequencies on its daily Miami-Zurich route to 14 flights per week. Qatar Airways will add a fifth weekly flight to Doha, Qatar, beginning Nov. 17. Virgin Atlantic will add a second daily Miami-London flight for the winter travel season. Finnair will launch seasonal service between Miami and Helsinki on Dec. 16.
- Beginning Sept. 15, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport closed the northernmost of its five runways until Oct. 15, in order to replace the 9,000-foot (2,743-meter) stretch of pavement. Hartsfield-Jackson does not expect the runway closure to significantly affect flight traffic.
- Qantas will operate six direct return services between Sydney and Vancouver in January to cater for demand during the peak of the North American winter holiday season.